Monday, October 3, 2011

I learned Something - Red Tide

This will likely be the first of many posts in this series.  I subscribe to the belief that you need to constantly be learning to continue to grow as a person.  If there is something that I don't understand or know anything about I will usually read up on it until it makes sense, this is one of those times.

While in Laguna Beach, Steven and I noticed that there was a large area in the ocean that was red.  We didn't think anything of it until Herr V asked if we saw the red tide.  Growing up in Texas where it takes a day to get to the coast, I really don't know much about the ocean so I had no idea what he was referencing.  Of course, wikipedia to the rescue...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tide

My assumption at the time was that the red we were seeing was some form of seaweed.  It turns out the redness was a form of algae.  The part I didn't understand is why people would still be swimming in the water with it there and frankly I still don't get it, but I have issues with strange things in the water touching me that I don't think the rest of the world has a problem with.  Swimming in murky water gives me the heebie jeebies.

I know this post may seem silly to those of you that grew up on the coast, but this is a pretty cool learning experience to see something first hand and then figure out what it is later.  The nerd in me thinks this is pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment