Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dinner for One - Sweet Potato and Millet

As usual I didn't really use a recipe, and didn't really write one.  Consider this a dinner idea and run with it.

For starters Millet is a type of grain that is high in manganese and phosphorous.  One of my favorite websites, Worlds Healthiest Foods, provides quite a bit of information on Millet and its health benefits.


It is easy to prepare and is similar to cooking rice.  Simmer one part Millet to two and a half parts water for about 25 minutes.  I made a large batch on Monday so I could enjoy it all week.  To reheat, I just add a little butter and salt and microwave for about a minute.  It doesn't get much faster than that.

As for the sweet potato, I bought a bag of frozen diced sweet potatoes and microwaved them according to the directions on the bag but you could easily cook up a fresh one instead.  Once they are cooked I stirred in a small spoonful coconut butter, a teaspoon of curry powder, quarter teaspoon of allspice, and a quarter teaspoon smoked paprika.  

Plate everything and top with a few coconut chips and call it dinner.  



My estimations are that this meal is about 300 to 400 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment