Friday, August 9, 2013

Food Waste Friday


FoodWasteFriday

I am going to try and start joining Food Waste Friday every week hosted by TheFrugalGirl so wish me luck in keeping the food waste to a minimum.

First up is a bowl of home made cilantro bean dip.  Of course, I forgot to take a before picture so you just get the empty bowl.



The dip was great and I had pulled it out of the fridge to use in a Quesadilla and saw the top quarter inch was a different color than the rest with a slight film over some liquid that had pooled up in one of the spoon holes.  I was really quite sad because I was looking forward to that Quesadilla.

On a happy note, this onion was not wasted.


The black mold is Aspergillus nigerand can easily be washed off or the outer layer can be removed before use.  No reason to waste a whole onion.


3 comments:

  1. Great that you managed to salvage the onion - I've frequently cut off mould from onions (and other veggies) to reveal something good inside. GOod luck for this coming week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wash the black off of onions too and use them, but it's good to know that it is really okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great to know about the onions :)

    ReplyDelete