Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Local Brussels with Chicken

First meal made out of the local box.



I used this recipe as inspiration for the Brussels.  

Of course I didn't have all the ingredients.  Instead of coconut oil, I used rendered chicken fat as my oil and I didn't bother tossing them with salt and pepper in a bowl before they went into the skillet.  They is just one extra dirty bowl that isn't necessary.  Once they were nice and caramelized, I turned the heat to low and tossed in 1-2 tablespoons of coconut butter instead of coconut milk.  That melted in nicely so I stirred that around to coat all the lovely Brussels.  Instead of shredded coconut I used these Coconut Chips.


I ordered a huge variety box of these chips a while back and am trying to find ways to use them up.  In case you are wondering coconut is their best flavor.



As for the chicken...
Mix together:
Cooked Chopped Chicken (I had boiled some bones and pulled the meat off of them but if you have leftover chicken breast or just want to cook up a breast and use that, totally up to you) 
Two celery stalks that have been diced
One diced green onion
Two eggs
3/4 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
Seasonings (Perhaps Paprika, Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper)


Press firmly into a meatball shape and cook on a lightly greased griddle or skillet until brown on both sides.



If you want a quick sauce mix together some stone ground mustard, mayonnaise and pickle juice.  Goes nicely with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment