Thursday, June 13, 2013

Greenling Local Box June 6, 2013

I can't describe to you how excited I was to start receiving Greenling Local Boxes again.  I didn't cook nearly enough while I was away for a year and it felt really good to get back in the kitchen.


Contents
Mushrooms
Potatoes
Spring Onions
Grapefruit
Mango
Amaranth and Purslane Mix
Pea Shoots
Beet Greens
Red Leaf Lettuce
Leeks

Two things that I had never seen before were the Amaranth and Purslane Mix as well as the Pea Shoots.  After a bit of googling the Pea Shoots could be eaten raw or as a saute and both Amaranth and Purslane are considered to be herbs and to be used as such.  Of course, I proceeded to taste all three of them immediately.  Isn't that what everyone does when presented with new produce?

Both the Amaranth and Purslane didn't have an overwhelming taste, a bit mild and citrousy.  The Pea Shoots were really fibrous, with a very green taste.  I was pleased though that there were some tiny pea pods that were sweet and delicious.  This is what it looked like after I cleaned and trimmed off all the rough stems.


Dinner number one with all this produce just needed a few eggs...


The frittata consisted of one potato, a few mushroom, finely diced pee shoots, spring onion, amaranth and purslane.  Satue all the veggies together then pour the scrambled eggs over the top, cook for a few minutes over medium heat then pop it under the broiler to finish it off.  Serve with a salad and some toast and call it dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment