Monday, January 23, 2012

Sauerkraut

Well, I've gone and done it.  I have become a real German (never mind that being a citizen thing, that didn't do it) and made my own Sauerkraut.  And it turns out that its pretty good and hasn't killed me yet.  What you see in that Stein in one head of cabbage that was shredded and combined with a scant tablespoon of Kosher Salt.  The goal is to mash and squeeze the cabbage and salt mixture to break down the cabbage and get some liquid out of it.  When I was making this the cabbage was cold from being in the fridge so after only a minute of squeezing the cabbage I stopped to warm up my hands and ended up getting back to it 15 minutes later.  At that point the salt was already working its magic and there was quite a bit of liquid.  Back to the squeezing I went a probably spent another 5 minutes mashing it up, then it all went into the stein, pressing it in as firmly as I could the whole time.  Don't forget to add those good juices on top.  Weigh it down, cover and let it sit for 3 days in a cool dark place.  Then dive in a refrigerate the rest.  For the record it was way better than the jarred stuff.

For more reference materials:



No comments:

Post a Comment