Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Potato Cakes

This is my absolute favorite thing to do with leftover potatoes.  I dream about it, I buy 10lbs of potatoes just so I can make potato cakes.  Luckily for me I am the only one in the house that likes them so I get to enjoy them all to myself.  Anyway here is my latest adventure in potato cakes. (Have I said potato cakes enough?)

Roughly two cups of leftover mashed potatoes
1 egg
2ish Tbsp flour
1 green onion (optional)
4 slices ham (optional)
Perhaps some cheese?
Salt and pepper to taste

(I don't really remember what went in for sure, so sue me)


Combine everything in a bowl.  You may need to add more or less flour depending on how wet your potatoes are.  You should end up with a mixture that you can form into a firm ball.  Then take those balls and put them on a medium high griddle or skillet with a bit of oil, press them down to make a patty shape.


Flip them when they are golden brown and delicious.  Then take a really bad iPhone picture.


Serve them up just by themselves, as a side dish or with some sauce.  I will throw whatever I have in the fridge at the time that needs to be used up into the mix.  Have fun with it, but make sure they aren't too loose so they don't fall apart on you in the pan.  Of course, think of me when you are eating them and perhaps some day we can have a potato cake party...

No comments:

Post a Comment