Thursday, December 8, 2011

Halloween Marshmallows

Ok, I know, I'm really late on this post, but maybe you will forgive me?

I made some marshmallows for Halloween.  Orange and Black ribbon to boot.


These weren't just any marshmallows though.  They were spiked.  One with chocolate vodka and the other with whiskey and honey.  I used Alton's Brown's basic recipe

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-marshmallows-recipe/index.html

The main difference was that instead of using water I used alcohol.  And for the whiskey honey, I replaced half of the corn syrup with honey.


They were liked by many and everyone had their own favorite.  Now that it is cold these would be great in some hot chocolate.  For Thanksgiving I made some pumpkin liquor marshmallows that I didn't photograph but they also seemed to be a hit.  Unfortunately I learned the hard way that you can't boil a cream liquor like you can a normal alcohol, so just replace the water that goes in with the gelatin if you are going to use something creamy.

Any flavor suggestions for future batches?  What would an appropriate Christmas flavor be?

2 comments:

  1. Eggnog would be different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an interesting idea. I could use eggnog as the cold liquid and then rum and the warm liquid. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete