Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Fun with Fennel Fronds

...and alliteration

My parents had this massive fennel plant that came up as a volunteer right next to the steps that lead down from their back patio.  As most volunteers are it was very much in the way, so much so that they have cut it down multiple time for it to just grow right back.  I really wish I would have gotten a picture of it, but of course I wasn't thinking.

Anywho...I took some cuttings from the fronds home with me and after some thinking about what to do with them I decided on a dip.  I strained a bit of plain yogurt to make it a bit thicker (or you could just use Greek) and added sour cream, green onion, fennel frond, salt and pepper.  Doesn't get much simpler than that.  Adjust the measurements to your taste, but start with about a cup of each of the yogurt and sour cream, one stalk of green onion and 2-3 tablespoons of the chopped fronds.


Fennel fronds taste very much like Dill so if you don't have any on hand go right ahead and substitute.  I ended up using this dip as a sauce for Quesadillas, a sandwich spread and salad dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment